DUI Lawyers in Suwanee, Ga.
Arrested in Suwanee, Ga for a DUI? Do you know your rights?
Whether you are guilty of a DUI or not, every resident in Suwanee, Georgia andGwinnett County should be aware of their rights during any arrest, especially a driving under the influence one. A DUI or DWI (Driving While Impaired) charge poses a unique arrest where a number of stipulations might have to be met, such as the person’s BAC (Blood Alcohol Level) and a number of Field Sobriety Tests failed, in order for the charges to stick.
In the state of Georgia and across the U.S.A the legal limit for Driving Under the Influence is set at a .08% BAC. Meaning a driver can be arrested and convicted of a DUI or DWI if they are at the legal limit or higher. However commercial drivers BAC cannot read at or higher than .04%. Additionally, anyone under the age of 21 who registered even the smallest trace of alcohol or a controlled substance will be automatically arrested for a DUI.
For these reasons the residents of Suwanee Georgia should make it their mission to educate themselves on DUI Laws in the event they find themselves charged with a DUI. By not knowing all your options, a driver charged with this offense runs the risk of crushing their outcome during a DUI Trial.
It’s not a secret that many of us either once or numerous times have driven home drunk. As we get in our vehicle we think to ourselves,“Hey I feel good, I am not that drunk, just a little buzzed. Surely I can drive home and take a chance a police officer doesn’t see me.” Possibly many times you made it home without incident. And the following day you talk with your friends or family and laughingly recount the entire night out and how you drove home perfectly fine after putting away a number of alcoholic drinks. I guess I am lucky, you think to yourself. But the reality is that not so many people are that lucky- if you want to call it that. The fact is that eventually your luck will run out and you will find yourself sitting in a holding cell awaiting prosecution for drunk driving.
Imagine it’s Friday afternoon and you and your co-workers meet for happy hour just blocks away from your office. Good times are had; stories are told and countless drinks are poured. After about 3-4 hours you each bid adieu and head your separate ways. Just before shaking a final hand, one of your co-workers asked you if you need a ride because you seem to impaired to drive. Do you take them up on the offer? Call for a ride sharing service likeUberorLyft? No, you convince yourself and others that you are fine to drive. Several nights you make it home, but not on this night. On the road, your eyes have trouble focusing and the blurred vision makes it hard to see the sudden green light turn red as the honking of horns fail in penetrating your ear drums. Just then you wake up inside a smoking mangled vehicle with red and blue sirens emanating in the background. You just caused a motor vehicle accident. The good thing you are unharmed but the other driver sustained a significant personal injury and is being transported to the nearest hospital.
Does this sound familiar? Has this happened to you and or people that you know? In the USA, according to StatisticBrain.com, each year around 1,500,000 drivers are dealing with either a DUI or DWI arrest. That means 1 in 80 drivers are taken in custody because of a DUI Law violation.
In Suwanee GA, you can assume that out of the 19,421 residents someone can share a story of a time they decided to get behind the wheel after a night out in places like the popularAdda Sports Pub & Eatery. But as fun and entertaining as those stories are, no one would ever want to trade those fond memories with stories of the time they were arrested and spent a couple of days at theGwinnett County Jail.On top of the jail time, you would hear about the times that they spent in front of a judge at eitherSuwanee, GA Municipal Courtor theGwinnett County Clerk of Superior Court.
If this at all has happened to you, then you are urged to contact aTop Rated DUI lawyer in Suwanee Georgia. Many law offices will provide a free consultation. These DUI attorneys will offer some solid advice that will help guide you through the long and arduous process. Sometimes all you need is a capable DUI lawyer. However, if your DUI case involves some personal injuries or even death, then an attorney with 20 years of experience is always a great option.
What happens when I’m arrested for a DUI/DWI?
Besides the obvious of being taken to the county jail, the person arrested needs to have a relative or friend post bail with their own funds so they can be released. If that is not an option, many family members seek a 24-hour bail bondsman to assist in posting bail.
After being released from jail the adventure of hiring the rightlaw firmto represent you begins. Many people sit in front of their desktop, laptops, MacBook’s, tablets, or mobile devices for hours Googling where to find the most qualified DUI/DWI attorneys in Suwanee, Georgia. They search domains such as:cornell.eduandlawinfo.com.
However, websites such asTop Rated DUI lawyer in Suwanee Georgia, have cut out a lot of the search time in half. A great number of people have found the right attorney since the website boasts the top 3-5 lawyers in the city. It specifies the most prominent and top ratedDUI Attorneysin Suwanee and surroundingGwinnettCounty. All of these attorneys are licensed by the American Bar Association and have extensive knowledge ofDUI lawsbecause of the countless hours in the courtroom.
Whichevercriminal defense lawyeryou choose they will work hard to develop the best possible game plan that may keep you from serving any jail time and even have your fines reduced.
Which is the right Suwanee, GA DUI Defense Attorney to hire?
There are a number of factors an individual facing a DUI/DWI conviction should consider when hiring a top Suwanee Georgia Lawyer.
- How familiar is the attorney withDUI Casesnot only in Suwanee but also in bothGwinnett Countyand in the state of Georgia?
- How many years of experience does this Lawyer have in dealing with DUI and criminal law proceedings? Note: If your potential attorney has less than five years then take into consideration the number of DUI/DWI cases he/she has been involved in. Just because they don’t have a decade of experience doesn’t mean they aren’t equipped to handle your case.
- Is this attorney strictly devoted in driving under the influence or driving while impaired cases? Or does he/she also tackle other cases like divorce,criminal defensecases etc.…. It may not be a bad thing to hire a lawyer with a vast array of practices under their belt, but keep in mind that sometimes working with a lawyer who is dedicated to one specific practice might be the most beneficial for you.
- Relationship with the prosecution. Not all lawyers have a great rapport with theGwinnettCountyDistrict Attorney or Assistant District Attorney but it is always ideal to hire a DUI attorney that has a great relationship with the prosecutor.
- A common deciding factor for most are the fees associated with SuwaneeDUI Lawyers. Attorney fees vary from firm to firm. One thing to think about is theDUI Lawyerssuccess rate in having DUI/DWI charges dismissed or dropped and your driving privileges whether reinstated immediately or getting a minimal suspension period. This is one important thing to consider if money is an issue. Depending on your financial situation, you can also opt have a public defender appointed to your case. Public defenders can help get you the outcome you wanted but with the number of heavy caseloads he/she manages it is wise to hire a top DUI attorney in Suwanee, GA.
- High-end looking offices: Don’t let some expensive looking real estate office scare you away and at the same time a moderate or lesser office shouldn’t deter you either. Always give anyDUI Defenselawyer a chance to sit with you and advise you on your best possible routes.
To challenge DUI charges in Georgia, you will need to enter a plea of “not guilty” at your arraignment and then file motions for discovery or to acquire all the prosecution's evidence against you. The motions are simply how you determine what evidence the prosecutor has against you.
A reduction to Reckless Driving is technically a win as the DUI charge is dismissed. There is no mandatory drivers license suspension with a Reckless Driving conviction, just 4 points on your license. There is no mandatory minimum punishments with a Reckless Driving conviction like there are with a DUI conviction.
The cost can vary depending on the exact situation, but, in general, a DUI will cost anywhere between $2,500 and $3,000.
Because of the unpopularity of DUI, the Georgia General Assembly has made DUI ineligible for First Offender treatment. It makes no sense. A person can be sentenced as a first offender on serious violent felonies but cannot be on a misdemeanor DUI offense.
Roughly 72 percent of these fully contested DUI cases have been resolved successfully without a trial (either dismissed or reduced to a lesser charge). Approximately two-thirds of the DUI cases that did require a trial resulted in an acquittal.
A defendant can still plead nolo, but they will face the same license consequences as if they had pleaded guilty. Most Georgia judges will no longer accept a nolo plea to DUI; however, if your Georgia DUI Attorney can convince a court to accept the pleading, there is still one benefit.